Rare Map of Dutch Guiana or Surinam!
Sijpesteijn, Jhr. C. A. van: Schets Kaart van De Kolonie Suriname of Nederlandsch Guiana 1853.
de Gebroeders van Cleef ‘s Gravenhage 1854
lithographed map; image size 16 x 40 cm. folds as issued; edges slightly browned and frayed; slight foxing; o/w vg cond.
A rare and detailed map of Dutch Guiana or Surinam, from a booklet named ‘Beschrijving van Suriname, Historisch-, Geographisch- en Statistisch overzigt, uit Officiele Bronner Bijeengebragt, door Jhr. C. A. van Sijpesteijn, ...’, covering the area from the River Corantijn in the West to the River Marowijne in the East.
On the lower left hand side is the coat-of-arms of Surinam with the motto ‘Justitia Pietas Fides’ (Justice Piety Fidelity). Depicted are 2 indigenous Arawak Indians with bows and quivers, supporting a shield with a ship. To the left of the shield is a ship, symbolising the past when slaves were abducted from Africa and brought to Surinam to work on the plantations, and to the right, representing the present, a Royal palm tree as a sign of a ‘just person’. Over the years, various changes were made until in 1975, the coat-of-arms in its present design were adopted at the official emblem of Surinam.
Dutch Guiana or Surinam was a Dutch plantation colony in the Northern part of South America which remained under Dutch control until 1975.
[ref: 3672] £175